We’re only weeks away from the green flag at on May 18 so let’s review how things will unfold during the race weekend! Batangas Racing Circuit is a track that has seen plenty of action last season, and it’s where we’ll be starting 2019.
Formula V1 is the first homegrown formula car program in the country and the flagship series in the rebuilding of Philippine motorsports. It’s a “spec” formula meaning every team runs exactly the same vehicle–that makes V1 racing cost-effective, easy to maintain, and, competitive and exciting because driver skill becomes the most important aspect.
The semi-monocoque Formula V1 cars weigh 550kg dry and are powered at the rear wheels by 1.5-liter Toyota 1NZ engines. Capable of reaching a 220kph top speed and 0-100 in 4.5 seconds, they are also equipped with Tein suspensions, Wilwood brakes, Rota wheels, and Giti Sport rubber. The price for this vehicle produced in a partnership between Tuason Racing and West Racing Car Japan is just P2,250,000.
Day 1 of a Sprint Race consists of two 20 minute practice sessions–unofficial and official–before scrutineering and qualifying time trials.
Day 2 consists of three 12 lap races. Race 1 grid position depends on QTT results, Race 2 grid position will be based on the results of Race 1–but with a reverse grid for the top four cars.
- 1st – 20
- 2nd – 15
- 3rd – 12
- 4th – 10
- 5th – 8
- 6th – 6
- 7th – 4
- 8th – 3
- 9th – 2
- 10th – 1
The final or championship race of the season will have double the points which can lead to a very tense finish at the final race!
THE DRIVERS AND TEAMS
The grid consists of the Pro Class–for drivers with a National B license or higher–and AM Class–for National C or B license holders with a minimum of 2 years experience in grassroots racing. Round 1 will feature a mix of returning veterans from 2018, and a lot of fresh racing talent too.
- 6 Stefan Ramirez Fourth Floor Racing
- 7 Jussi Hoikka Growl Thule Racing
- 10 Paolo Mantolino
- 12 Gaby Dela Merced Standard Insurance M1 Racing Team
- 17 Ryo Ramada Cleanfuel Racing Team
- 20 Estefano Rivera Toyota Otis Obengers
- 69 Raymond Ronquillo Frontrow Racing Team
- 17 Masanori Aya West Racing Japan
- 24 Dominic Roque Cleanfuel Racing Team
- 31 Bryan Co Giti Racing Team
- 31 Jerry Choi One Formula
- 46 Shane Henderson A Line Autosport
- 77 Cesco Dino Edgesport Racing Team
- 81 Red Diwa OTR Racing Team
- 88 Alex Brown Toyota Otis Obengers
- Raffy Rabe Phoenix Racing Team